Summary: Work under the general direction of the Purchasing Manager and is responsible for purchasing specific commodities which are complex or company/customer designed in order to support production and related operating departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtain competitive bids from reliable sources; analyze supplier operations to identify factors that affect price and determine lowest cost consistent with quality, reliability and ability to meet required schedules.
- Review and analyze proposals as necessary; develop new supplier sources who meet customer and company guidelines as necessary.
- Perform sensitive or intensive price negotiations; select appropriate suppliers.
- Use automated information systems to produce and track purchase orders and related documentation; monitor schedule and delivery dates.
- Resolve issues related to quantity, quality, and delivery and invoicing.
- Ensure adequate documentation is available to provide the necessary support for government audits.
- Maintain effective liaison with suppliers and necessary company operating departments to ensure adequate flow of information concerning progress of materials, anticipated delivery schedules, etc.
- Visit nationally/international supplier facilities as necessary.
- Evaluate supplier costs/pricing, delinquencies, quality, etc.
- Make recommendations for retention of elimination from approved supplier list. Identify problem areas/issues; recommend and/or take corrective action.
- Make presentations to company management as required.
- Train subordinate members of the department as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 5 years of related experience required to qualify.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field required.
- Broad knowledge of a specialized field such as procurement or contracts administration.
- Requires ability to read and interpret drawings, blueprints, schematics, etc.
- Good oral and written communication skills.